Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Lucky


I remember in 6th grade me and my dear friends would all gather on the clover patches during recess and look for the 4 leaf clovers. I always hoped I would be the one to find it and have all the luck of the world. of course now I am not sure I believe that some thing as silly as a deformed clover is lucky. But its still magical to find those clovers.
History~
"The four-leaf clover's luck dates back years and years. In Irish tradition, a simple three-leaf clover's leaves stood for the Trinity in Christian theology: One leaf represented the Father, the second leaf represented the Son, and the third represented the Holy Spirit. If a fourth leaf was present, it stood for the grace of God. Its rarity alone makes the four-leaf clover lucky."


I was in my early teens when I found a old horse shoe in the fields. I had heard that hanging a horse shoe up like a "U" was lucky but you did not want to turn it upside down because then you had bad luck. I actually cried when my dad turned it up side down. they used to say never to even carry it upside down but I can say that I have carried many upside down and it has not caused me too much bad luck. Who knows.
History~
"Several explanations exist for why horseshoes became good luck charms. One explanation involves witches. Witches did not care for horses, so they chose to ride through the sky on brooms as their means of transportation. If a person hung a horseshoe above a door, witches would not want to enter."


I Have no stories about Rabbits feet. I am not really fond of them tho I always end up with one floating around some where. Its just odd to me having a actual rabbits foot on your key chain.


History~

"A lucky rabbit's foot may come from the symbolic value of rabbits. Rabbits are thought of as fertile creatures, symbolizing new, abundant life. Another reason is that a rabbit's back feet touch the ground before its front feet, thus leading to the thought that these hind feel have magical significance."


Those are just Three of the big ones. Then there are those random things people find lucky.
Like their lucky pair of socks, or even underwear. I like to have my charm bracelet with me when I am doing any thing new or important to me. Not really for luck I guess but Still some odd lil thing like lucky things.

What do you find Lucky?

1 comment:

  1. Actually, horseshoes were traditionally made from iron, which was anti-fairy metal. It didn't just work on witches; any supernatural creature would be completely freaked by iron. This is also why 'coffin nails' work so well on so many creatures.

    ReplyDelete