Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Falling


Sleep is a naturally recurring state characterized by reduced or absent  consciousness. In witch I must not do naturally. Tonight I woke to that odd falling sensation of falling. Did you know this sensation is a muscle twitch known as a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch or for short Hypnic jerk. Usually I have this sensation when I dream that I am falling like from a tree or some thing. Tonight it was different. Funny tho! I Jerked because I was Falling in love. I don't understand what happened but it was like I suddenly freaked out. And there it was.. the Falling sensation.

The reason for this sensation is caused by  as your muscles begin to slack and go into a restful state just as you are falling asleep; your brain senses these relaxation signals and misinterprets them, thinking you are falling down.Then the brain sends signals to the muscles in your arms and legs in an attempt to jerk you back upright. It is said this misinterpretation that takes place in your brain may also be responsible for the “falling” dreams that accompany the falling sensation. These “dreams” are not really normal dreams, as they are not produced from R.E.M sleep, but rather more like a daydream or hallucination in response to the body’s sensations. But if this is the case then why is it that I had been asleep for a few hours. Studies say that these happen the most to those suffering from sleep anxiety, fatigue, and discomfort. Researchers believe that the lack of sleep from sleep anxiety or sleep deprivation confuses the muscles and the brain.
Wow I am such a Nerd!!! haha I need to get back into an English class where I am forced to write things like this so that I do not just do this for the fun of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment